Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Hitman, The Egg and The Brocolli




So, after a weekend filled with debauchery, alcohol, red meat, alcohol, red meat, alcohol and chocolate, it was finally time to kick detox into gear.  I was strong like a lion and really believed that it would be a simple matter.  Oh and did I mention that Steve, in support of this madcap adventure of mine, is going to sympathy detox with me? So impressed!  J
Immensely enthused and amused by a message from my mom saying good luck and “June the fourth be with you” (comedienne of note, my mom!) off to gym I went. Divine took it somewhat easy on me this morning , putting me through the circuit - I think I scared him somewhat last week by almost dying (ok so that’s a little melodramatic, but still). 
The rest of the day was fine except that when it came time for the rice cake and boiled egg I fell apart somewhat.  Can anybody say GAG FEST?  It took me like 45 minutes to eat two rice cakes – I kid you not.  This cannot continue every day! BLEGH!  The detox tea is also gross but if I drink it really quickly then it’s not too bad!  ChloĆ© and I made an awesome tuna salad for supper and, in self-defence, I hauled myself off to bed at 9PM!!  Not sure how I am going to survive another 20 of these!

An interesting thing happened on Monday when I phoned my dad to tell him that Father’s Day would not, this year, include the normal feast of roast and all the trimmings!  Yeah I know, selfish much?  Anyway, my dad’s comment, at the end of my long explanation, was that it was fine because he doesn’t live to eat, he eats to live.  Love that! 

Day 2 started off all guns blazing!  Divine seriously put me through my paces!  (Divine, my beauties, is also known in MMA circles as Divine “The Hitman” Volontiya – clearly I’ve lost my frikking mind)!  Today involved skipping (Sounds like fun right?  Wrong!), loads of kicking and other exhausting shit.  I have to say though that the stretching at the end, when he bends me into all sorts of angles, is really awesome.  Not elegant.  But awesome.
After complaining bitterly and ad nauseum (haha) about the eggs, Divine said I could switch to peanut butter. I am beyond thrilled!  Who thought I would be ecstatic at the thought of peanut butter?  All was going great guns – oats, peanut butter rice cakes, water, detox tea – and I demolished my fruit salad practically in a single bound (all Hulk like).  However, that was when Steve messaged me to say he could only eat half his fruit salad – HE WAS TOO FULL!  I admit, I got a little grumpy for a minute or six but, under the pressure of a lot of bitching from my side, he finished it and all was forgiven!
It was around then that my body started fighting back.  I found that if I stayed absolutely motionless, I was fine.  The problem arose when I moved. Or breathed.  Unfortunately, due to the fact that I am currently drinking water for the Republic, unless a bedpan is brought into my office I have no choice but to move. Sink or swim they say.  Pffft!   So I did the hobbleshufflelimp (technical term) to and from the loo and the kitchen – each time wondering why the hell I am doing this. 
Something other pearls of wisdom Divine passed on to me: he said that women have incredible resolve, and in his experience when we set a goal, we do whatever it takes to reach it.  Awesome.  If I fail, I am failing the female species.  No pressure!
Our first supper of steamed fish and raw veggies did not go as well as I imagined!  The fish was fine.  Some thyme, a little black pepper and a splodge of lemon  - it was actually quite tasty.  However I cannot understand what inspired some moron who perchance happened to stand in a field of broccoli (do they grow in fields or in Satan’s lair?) to think gosh golly, these green tree things look yummy.   So I hereby present proof that there was broccoli in my house.  Last time.  Ever. 

Wednesday morning saw the introduction of my worst nightmare.  An ab workout.  Now just so that you know, all through my gym sessions over the last year and a bit I have worked everything EXCEPT my abs!  I always seem to conveniently “run out of time” – thus resulting in the bakers dozen sitting around my middle.  This horrified the Hitman whom, I believe, has made it his personal crusade to ensure that I end up with seriaaas abs when he is done with me.  I gasped and grunted my way through the session, ending with a 10 minute sprint up Kilimanjaro (ok it was a jog at level 8, on an incline of 2 but still).   Divine also warned me that I should expect, at any moment, a breakout of note.  So probably by the end of the week I will be rocking the full complement of hobbleshufflelimp, a pimple covered face and my tummy yelling out at intervals “what the fuck dude???”. 
So 4 training sessions, and 3 detox days and my resolve is still strong – even if the body is taking strain.  I have also resorted to doing the stick / carrot thing – at the end of the 3 week detox we are going to Bloemendal for supper.  Bloemendal serves cooked vegetables.  Just saying!
x




No comments:

Post a Comment