Monday 9 July 2012

The Shin Splints, The Mousse and The Beautiful Wine

This week has been immensely uneventful and this post will, as a result, be short!  I have nothing of any real interest to share with you - funny or otherwise.  I am not allowed to weigh myself.  I am eating the same ole same ole.  I am getting up in the freezing bloody dark each morning to go to gym, and Divine is making sure I am always on my toes at training - literally!  Imagine this for a second, if you will:  Thursday morning's training session included spider walks.  I "walked" from one end of the aerobics studio on my hands and toes, in a forward squat-like stance - of course with the arse waiving around in the air - and then backwards to the start point. Co-ordination is required, especially for the reversing section of this exercise - something which I am sorely lacking!  I think if Divine wasn't such a gentleman, he would have been rolling around laughing hysterically!  He did cough a few times (I am sure he was politely hiding his laughter)!!   On the upside, Thursday was so icy cold that the gym was effectively deserted!  Whew!

One crappy thing which happened last week is that I managed to develop shin splint(s) (??) in my left leg.  It is hellishly painful, I have to tell you.  I have been training through the pain, and it seems that I am mostly ok, but first thing in the morning, and then of course later in the evenings, it becomes pretty bad.  So I googled it:

"... the primary culprit causing shin splits is a sudden increase in distance or intensity of a workout schedule.  This increase in muscle work can be associated with inflammation of the lower leg muscles, those muscles used in lifting the foot ....".

The suggested solution to this problem is to rest the leg for two weeks, along with halving your training intensity - neither of which are options at the moment.  So I have to suck it up and work through it - I will not lose my momentum now damnit!

Knowing full well that it was going to be a weekend of over-indulgence, I trained like the devil was on my arse on Friday - skipping, sit ups and spinning.  And it was a good thing too!  On Friday night I went to a ladies night dinner at a friend's house and, although I didn't eat the potato bake or the beautiful bread, I did have the chicken skin (instead of politely pushing it to the side) and, when presented with a chocolate mousse topped with cream and strawberries, had no choice but to eat it - it would have been rude to refuse!! We won't even talk about the necessary wine consumption which accompanied the evening!



Saturday was almost as sinful - I met two exceptional ladies for lunch - and proceeded to eat and drink and be merry!  What is a girl to do when presented with an opportunity to spend time with friends?  Drink water and chew on a spinach leaf.  I think not!!

Today I made the horrid mistake of confessing my sins to Divine!  Holy crapola!! He decided to put me through something called a fitness test - I won't list all the shit he made me do but suffice it to say that it was torturous and left me shattered.  I reckon I scored around 66% (managing to do two sets of the blasted session), which in my opinion is not too shabby!  A month ago I doubt I would have been able to do even one complete set!  But baby, that chocolate mousse, wine and chicken skin has now been burnt into oblivion!!  Boom!

Next Monday is weigh-in day - making me somewhat nervous.  And tomorrow is Steve's birthday - cannot be eating salad on a birthday, blegh - and we are celebrating the festive occasion this Friday night!  So yes, I am worried about Monday. But, as the Ever Wise Di Terry has said to me a number of times, this has to be sustainable otherwise it will never work.  So this week I will mostly behave, and this weekend I won't.  Simple as that!

Ok! I started this post saying that I had nothing really to say.  Oh well!
T







No comments:

Post a Comment